Saturday, September 6, 2008

ONE SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Last Sunday, my friend and I decided to go to a public park after church. At the park there was a basketball court, netball court and soccer stadium. My friend was interested in practicing his basketball skills. So being the skilled player that I am decided to give him some lessons. I have played basketball for many years. I was on a rep team up until I attended university and I also coached adolescents in basketball. So we proceeded to the basketball court. After playing for an hour or so we saw a group of kids, no older than maybe 10 years old trying to play basketball on the netball court with a deflated netball. So we started playing with these young children. Despite being in tattered clothes and having no shoes on their feet these kids really wanted to play. Just having a real basketball to play with was a luxury for these kids. With our basketball they organized a full court gam. I told my friend he should get these kids to teach him as they definitely knew the rules, and he did not, and being that my English is different from his my instructions at times weren’t all that helpful. But these kids would definitely have been amazing coaches. Later on, my friend asked the kids how they learned to play basketball and they said that they learned by watching the older boys play. I was shocked that these kids learned the rules and learned how to shoot and dribble just by observing others playing as they didn’t really have a ball to practice with. Me I learned to play basketball by having someone teach me how to dribble, shoot, and pass. I went to numerous practices for the many years that I played. I don’t know how good I would have been if I had simply learned how to play by just observing. Later while we were sitting watching the children play basketball my friend turned to me and asked if I had brought my camera. I told him no. But I definitely wished I had. We had organized the cutest game of basketball and I couldn’t take any pictures. He proceeded to lecture me on how I should always carry my camera because, he said,
"these are memories that you can’t get back. You’ll want to remember these things so you should always have your camera."
He was right. Although there are times when I am homesick and missing my family, friends and most of all my boyfriend there have also been lots of good times so far. Good times that I have failed to document. Although I hated to admit it this could be my only visit to Malawi. I could end up going back to Canada, getting wrapped up in my own life. You know the excitement of getting back to the big city, seeing old friends and just being home again. I don't like to admit it but I could end up forgetting about the people that I met and became friends with in Malawi. The impact they had in my life. It's strange being in Malawi I feel world's away. I feel like I am living a different life. And when I get back home, my time in Malawi might feel like a dream. I hope that doesn’t happen, but it’s very possible. I hope I am different. I’m sure that’s happened to others who go away to another country, stay for a while, end up going back home and forgetting about the people they left behind. And I knew that’s what my friend meant in way. That when I am gone I could end up forgetting about everyone that I met here and everything that happened here. He’s right. I can't predict the future but these are memories that if I don’t document them either by writing them down or taking pictures they could be lost forever. And I don't want that to happend.

In any case, We finished the day off by giving the children some ground nuts that my friend had roasted at my house. On our way home we stopped at a bar and bought pork and steak and chips (French fries). All in all a game of basketball, watching kids play, and some pork and chips made this day one of the best days I have had so far in Malawi. Plus I made a new friend that day. Now we (my friend and I) share stories about our different life experiences, different backgrounds and childhood experiences. And now I have started making more friends. When I think about it Lilongwe isn’t so bad after all. I’m actually starting to become really fond of this place. Maybe I’m even starting to see it as home.

Maybe.

No comments: