Saturday, September 13, 2008

Learning experience

One of the things I would say I have learned in Malawi so far is definitely one of the most endearing human qualities. I have learned how to share. I would have to say that is one of the toughest things to do, especially when you're not one who isn't used to sharing. Often in Canada, everyone has their own things. We have our own camera, or mp3 player, or radio recorder, computer and even food. Here, not everyone is so lucky. In Canada, I would say I was somewhat generous. But here each and everyday my friends are pushing me beyond my levels of comfort and understanding of how things work. Here, sometimes people don't have money to buy food or take the mini-bus: Kwachas don't go as far as Canadian dollars. And rather than seeing one of your friends keel over as a result of starvation you decide to share your food instead. In canada, most times I wouldn't think twice of sharing a plate of food. Rather I would expect them to buy their own. I mean after all a plate of food in Canada can be bought at as cheap as 5$ which is almost 700Kwacha in Malawi. Here life isn't quite so simple. For me buying a bag of chips for 100K or 75 USD is no big deal. I do it at home all the time. Here it's too much money. so instead of me happily enjoying the bag by myself while others watch, I choose even if it's reluctantly to hand over some chips to others. Each and everytime I do it, it gets easier. And it really gets easier when someone who isn't as privileged as you asks you to come and share a plate of food with them. Although they know that I might have more, they still give what they have. It really puts you in your place and makes you see how selfish you are. Seeing this spirit of generosity is inspiring. No matter what their situation is, if one Malawian has something and another doesn't they always share what they do have. And no matter how little that is, the person is always happy with the gesture. After all, don't we always say it's the thought that counts. And what about the saying it's better to give than receive. But really how many people in North America have truly internalized this idea of truly giving but not expecting anything in return. Not many. Definitely not myself. We always expect some form of payback in the end. And really, telling someone well although you bought me a $300 birthday gift, I'm sorry I only had $50 dollars for yours won't work. Telling them, "hey,it's the thought that counts." ha try that and see what happes. Most likely you'll have one less friend. But in Malawi because many people don't have much passing on a worn skirt or shoes is just as much appreciated as a $300 ipod. I admire my friends for that quality. It's impressive. I hope that it will rub off on me because even if I don't go home with curios, African clothing, and other souvenirs, if I come back as a more generous person that's a gift that will last a lifetime and benefit my family and friends and even strangers. I look forward to home a better person than the one that stepped off the plane in Lilongwe.

2 comments:

Fox said...

Just wanted to say...Love ya...hope everything is going awesome!!

Treasure said...

It was really great reading your blog after seeing it posted on the African Canadian heritage site. Im a UofT student really nervous about my international Development co-op placement and would really appreciate some advice once you got back, especially since one of the projects I will be applying to is in malawi!Enjoy the rest of your stay. My email is manalabdul1@hotmail.com. Take care!!!