Friday, August 15, 2008

Home is where the heart is

At the moment I am currently in Mzuzu. I will be in Mzuzu for three day.s That's the major northern city in Malawi. It's close to Tanzania. It's gorgeous but it's also way smaller than Lilongwe, which is where I am currently living. I must say that I actually really miss Lilongwe. Although I am still homesick for Canada, leaving Lilongwe was a lot sadder than I thought it would be. I thought it would be exciting to venture to a new city. Get out and see Malawi but the fact is I find Mzuzu kinda boring. There's a tiny downtown area, a small market area and the pubs that I have been too are well...dry. And people are no longer speaking Chichewa here...just when I start learning bits of Chichewa I find out that it's another language that is used up here. Plus the relationships I was finally starting to build in Lilongwe with co-workers was interrupted. It takes energy and time to build a corgial relationship with co-workers. plus I left Lilongwe when a big story was breaking. I will definitely write about it in my next post. It's a pretty interesting story. Although my visit to Mzuzu is only three days, I wish I was back in my home in Lilongwe and sleeping in my bed, going to the internet cafe where I have come to know the owners and visiting with my friend that I always meet on the weekends in Old Town, Mr. T. My trip to Mzuzu has taken me out of the place where I am just starting to feel comfortable. Usually when I am in Lilongwe, I dream about life back in Canada. But yesterday while I was sleeping in my lodge in Mzuzu, I was dreaming about Lilongwe. Funny. I think it's the fact that in Lilongwe I am finally starting to come to terms with the fact that I will have to be here for the next six months. And yes, hate to admit it but it's starting to feel like home. I leave Mzuzu tomorrow and, honestly, I cannot wait to get back.

1 comment:

Antonio said...

Respects always his history. Every inhabitant, specially the oldest, estimate his past as to them themselves.

The best will try to share it with you, and you will notice the good will.

Cordial regards.