Saturday, August 9, 2008

Where do peanuts come from?




I found out on Thursday while I was in Mchinji where peanuts in Malawi come from. They come from women and children sitting in the hot sun for hours breaking open the shells of the peanuts. The women crack open the peanuts and the children sort through the shells for the nuts. Little kids, no older then 12, dressed in rags, with no shoes and dirty faces using baskets to separate the shells from the roasted peanuts. After seeing this and seeing the monotonous work these people have to go through I don’t think I ever want to eat peanuts again. Mind you I know these people are getting an income by doing this work but I mean what kind of life is that...to be sorting peanuts everyday for the rest of your life. I asked someone if these were the same peanuts that were exported. They said no. But I later heard somewhere on the radio that Malawi does export these peanuts. I think I hate peanuts now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The pictures are incredible Amanda. Used the picture with the lady on the ACHA website.