Monday, April 20, 2009

Skype...not so simple in Malawi

So when I left Canada, I tried to encourage as many as my friends as possible to sign up on skype. I told them yeah definitely when I get to Malawi i will find you guys on skype. if only it were that easy. Unfortunately since I've been here I've been subjected to really slow internet, now I can no longer figure out how to get internet on my fancy phone. It's a nice phone that I good friend of mine light me borrow for the year. Except when trying to find accessories for this said phone it's damn near impossible in this country. People pick the phone up in their hand, give me a confused look and say no they don't have accessories for the phone. essentially i am desperately trying to find headphones so i can listen to bbc. Another issue with skyping is the incredible time difference between Malawi and canada. while 6 hours doesn't seem like it's that much of a difference when I am getting ready for bed people in canada are just coming home from work. When it's 6pm in canada, it's 12am here. so just think how difficult it will be for me to stay up till 3 in the morning especially when I need to be at work the next day. In any case, I hope soon, once I can figure out how to connect my phone to the internet then i will hopefully be able to skype whenever I want. Most likely once I get all the kinks figured out, skyping will be reserved for the weekend. But till then I hope everyone can be patient.

1 comment:

Nubian With Soul said...

oh wow I didn't know you went back. How long are you gone for?