Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thanks for the support

I recently conducted a short campaign to try and collect and ship used clothing down to Malawi for street children. While I realize a project like this isn't necessarily sustainable, I just really wanted to do my little part to help. While I was working in Malawi on a CIDA contract, I saw that many children didn't even have shoes or proper clothes to wear. It was quite sad since I am so used to seeing that in North America there's always an abundance of things. I am aware that not everyone has access to these things in the west either. In any case I saw a need and I wanted to do something. whatever little I could do. Well when I started the campaign while I was back home in Toronto I saw that there would be no problem acquiring the clothing. But what would be the difficulty was getting donations to support the cost of shipping to Malawi. This is where cost was incurred most. Shipping to Malawi proved to be incredibly expensive. In the end I was able to raise more than enough money to ship the items to Malawi. The cost for shipping was $600US. Now it's the waiting process. The items will be in Malawi on June 27, 2009. Quite a long way away from when they were shipped, which was april 10. In any case I wrote this long paragraph to say from the bottom of my heart to people who contributed to this very small cause. Thank You. People who don't even know me very well entrusted me with this money just having faith that it would go to what I said it would go to. And it has. the remainder of the money will be used to deal with customs duties. Once again I would just like to say thank you and I will definitely let everyone know when the items arrive in Malawi.

No comments: