Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Malawi polling in pictures






I took these pictures from a friend. Because I am not Malawian I couldn't get beyond a certain point to take pictures of people voting. It appears that many people are excited about the process of voting. And even for me, someone who can't vote it was an exciting process. Now the most exciting part of all aside from people casting their ballots is finding out who the winner is. In Canada, the process of democracy is less exciting. For us it's something we consider a right. So essentially, we just vote for do we want a conservative or a liberal in power but for us (Canadians) we understand that no matter who we vote for our democracy will still stay the same. But for many Malawians and people in Africa sometimes choosing one leader over another is choosing one form of freedom over another. We take democracy for granted. We treat it as a right. But for many in Africa it's not a right it's a privilege and especially in Malawi it's something that people cherish dearly. I really learnt alot from Malawians as they went to the polls. From now on I think I will vote in every election that I can. I don't think it's right for me to take the democracy we have in Canada for granted. As we have seen in places like Kenya and Zimbabwe, democracy can easily be taken away. In any case, a friend of mine got a monitor to take pictures for them and I sought permission from him to use his pics on my blog. He said it was fine. Here is the Malawian polls in pictures. I would love to reflect on democracy and other things more but it's late here and I have to go to sleep. enjoy!

No comments: