Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Problem with the mini buses

So after nine months in Malawi, I can say that the enjoyment of the minibus has finally worn off. Yes, at first I thought it was exciting because it was new and different. When I first rode the mini bus I was like this is great. unlike the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) the mini bus drivers stop and wait for you. Man TTC drivers will see you sprinting for the bus, they know that you're obviously late for work or some appointment and they look you dead in your eyes and drive off. Whereas the mini-bus driver stops where you want them to stop. Yes, if you're walking to the stage, no matter how far away, if the conductor sees you, he stops the bus and then gets the drive to reverse, yes believe it or not Torontonians, reverse the bus to pick you up. Like a TTC driver would ever do that. Also mini-buses go most places and if not there is a matola or u just walk. TTC only goes certain places, it's expensive and if you miss the bus and it's on a route that doesn't have many buses then your screwed. But like I said with mini buses their novelty has worn off for me. I hate when you have to wait like 20 minutes for the bus to fill up. Or if the bus isn't filled when it leaves the stage, the mini bus takes all kinds of different routes to find passengers and this is especially stressful for someone who doesn't speak chichewa because you have no idea what the bus is doing/where it's going because you have no idea what the conductor is saying. I continue waiting and then I always turn to the person next to me, hope they speak english and ask them what the conductor is saying. Honestly when those things happen I am just sitting back and praying that I get to my destination. My newest example of why I am getting annoyed with the minibus has to do with long distance traveling. Today I was traveling home from Mangochi, it's a district in southern Malawi and it's around 4 hours by public transport. I was in Mangochi to do research for a documentary production I am hoping to eventually get funding for. Well, first of all it took me more than five hours to get back home to Lilongwe, which is a district in the central region. So that was annoying. Secondly, most of the minibuses are not made for tall people. Many people in Malawi are short so for someone like me who's 5'8 riding a minibus long distances can be hard. Today, my leg was cramped so badly I honestly thought I was going to die. I lost feeling in my left leg, my left bum cheek fell asleep as well and then my right leg was in a lot of pain. Now what I do admire about the minibus is that the conductors are able to pack so many people and things into the bus. 10 suitcases, a goat, 20 people, chickens, 5 bags of maize...imagine into a tiny 14 seater minibus. I think if the minibus' renovated and made the space between the seats just a bit bigger along with the headroom I would have no problem riding them. But because the ride was so uncomfortable today, once I got off the minibus I immediately hopped into a cab to get home. I think I am going to invest in a bicycle so I can start riding to work rather than dealing with uncomfortable minibus rides. Maybe I can even invest in a motorbike...how cool would that be?

No comments: